Why is there a problem of craving and distaste for food during pregnancy?
The craving for different types of food during pregnancy is not a new thing, but during this time special care has to be taken off food and drink. According to a report published in the National Center for Biotechnology Information, pregnant women must include carbohydrates, proteins, and good fats in their diet.
However, many times it is seen that during pregnancy, when cravings occur, they also include unhealthy food in their diet. Doing so can be harmful to both the mother and the baby. Today in this article, we will share with you all the information related to the craving and distaste for food during pregnancy. Both food cravings and aversions during pregnancy can be a problem for pregnant women. Therefore, why this happens and what is behind it, the science will also understand.
- When does the craving and distaste for food during pregnancy start and when does it end?
- What is the science behind craving and distaste for food during pregnancy?
- What are the causes of craving and dislike of food during pregnancy?
- How to manage food cravings and dislike during pregnancy?
- What foods and drinks should pregnant women avoid?
- Follow healthy food habit tips during pregnancy.
Let us now know the answer to these questions one by one.
When does the craving and distaste for food during pregnancy start and when does it end?
Let us understand both cravings and dislike during pregnancy one by one.
(1) Cravings for food during pregnancy:
It is normal to have an urge to eat anything else during pregnancy, which is also called pregnancy cravings or food cravings during pregnancy. This is mainly due to hormonal changes. Many times during pregnancy there is a desire to eat ice cream or eat ice. According to some women who have become mothers, during pregnancy, they also like to eat things like chalk and clay. Consumption of things like ice, chalk, and clay is harmful to both mother and baby. Food cravings during pregnancy can start from the first trimester i.e. the fourth or fifth week. By the way, craving for food during pregnancy or food cravings can happen at any time during pregnancy. In such a situation, it is considered necessary to pay attention to the dietary habits of a pregnant woman or her eating habits. Unhealthy food is harmful to both the mother and the unborn baby. Not only this, lack of nutrition can also affect the development of the baby.
(2) Distaste for eating during pregnancy:
The distaste for eating during pregnancy is also due to changes in hormones. It is believed that lack of interest in food during pregnancy can start from the first trimester of pregnancy. However, aversion to food can be felt at any stage of pregnancy and may go away on its own or persist after the birth of the baby.
Craving and distaste for food during pregnancy: what is the science?
Cravings and dislike for food can happen at any time during pregnancy. According to a report published in Frontiers Journals, nausea and aversion to food are linked to pregnancy. However, more research is still needed on this topic. At the same time, according to the Journal of Food and Nutrition Research reports, due to the problem of nausea and vomiting during pregnancy, pregnant women do not have the desire to eat.
What are the causes of craving and dislike of food during pregnancy?
Hormonal changes are said to be the main reason for craving and dislike of food during pregnancy. However, along with hormonal changes during pregnancy, there can be other reasons, which can increase or decrease your appetite for food. Test receptors and smells can be very sensitive, low, or even normal during pregnancy. By the way, any of these conditions are considered normal during pregnancy. If you understand it with an example, then the taste of broccoli can also make you feel bitter, which you may not like to eat. Mumbai-based Priya Taneja is the mother of two children. When we asked her about food cravings and dislikes during pregnancy, she says, “I used to crave the same food items during pregnancy that I used to eat in my childhood. That's why it is difficult to say what to like and what not to do during pregnancy and it varies from a pregnant woman. Keep in mind that cravings and dislike of food are common problems during pregnancy, but it is important to avoid unhealthy eating habits.
How to manage food cravings and dislike during pregnancy?
It is considered normal to have physical and mental problems during pregnancy, but if the problem is getting more then give information about it. At the same time, craving and distaste for food can be managed during pregnancy. like:
- Cravings and aversions to food are normal during pregnancy and careless eating and drinking can lead to nutritional deficiencies for the mother and baby. During pregnancy, there is a high desire to eat chocolate, ice cream, and ice cubes. In such a situation, it would be better not to eat ice cubes and at least eat chocolate or ice cream. By the way, a pregnant lady can consume brownies.
- If the cravings are increasing, then you should take yourself for a walk or do some favorite activity like reading a book, listening to a song, or talking to your friends.
- During pregnancy, if there is a lot of desire not to eat, then you should include healthy food. If you want, you can consume dry fruits and nuts.
- If you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet and have a desire to eat something other than meat, chicken, or egg during pregnancy, then you can also include these in your diet. After pregnancy, you can again follow a vegetarian or vegan diet.
Note: Sometimes a particular thing can be eaten when you want it and it is important to consult a doctor about it if your dislike of food is increasing. Keep in mind that carelessness related to diet during pregnancy can cause problems for both the pregnant woman and the unborn baby.
It is important to pay attention to cravings and dislikes of food during pregnancy. If the pregnant lady likes to eat clay, ash, chalk or ice cubes during this time, then it indicates iron, zinc deficiency or any other problem in the body.
What foods and drinks should pregnant women avoid?
The craving and dislike of food during pregnancy can be caused by any food item, but in such a situation one should keep distance from the following foods-
- Do not consume clay, ash, chalk, or ice cubes.
- Do not consume raw or uncooked meat, fish, or eggs.
- Do not consume unpasteurized milk and curd.
- Do not consume alcohol and cigarettes.
Follow healthy food habits during pregnancy
Plan a healthy food habit during pregnancy in the following way-
- Make it a habit to eat small meals at frequent intervals to avoid sudden or frequent hunger pangs.
- Make a habit of eating healthy snacks.
- Eat low-calorie and fiber-rich food.
- Drink water.
Keeping these small things in mind can help in making pregnancy healthy and can also manage food cravings and dislike during pregnancy. If you want to know the answer to any question related to Food Cravings and Aversions During Pregnancy, then you can ask in the comment box. The Health Experts of Hello Health will try to answer all your questions as quickly as possible.