Leakage of amniotic fluid during pregnancy: Understand causes, symptoms and treatment
The onset of pregnancy and the changes taking place in the body is not a big deal, but it is important to understand the changes taking place in the uterus. The uterus plays a special role in the development of the fetus. The uterus itself decides that the baby gets the necessary nutrition and plays along with the amniotic fluid in the supply of nutrition for this baby, but many times the amniotic fluid starts leaking long before the baby delivery i.e. during pregnancy.
If the amniotic fluid starts leaking during pregnancy, then it is no less than an alarm bell. Therefore, why leaking amniotic fluid during pregnancy is dangerous, and will share many important things related to it with you in this article today.
- What is amniotic fluid?
- Why can amniotic fluid leak out during pregnancy?
- What should be the level of amniotic fluid during pregnancy?
- Amniotic fluid is leaking during pregnancy, how to understand it?
- What complications can arise from leakage of amniotic fluid during pregnancy?
Let us now know the answers to these above-mentioned questions related to amniotic fluid and why amniotic fluid leaking during pregnancy is dangerous.
Along with pregnancy, amniotic fluid is formed from the nutrients and water present in the body. The amniotic fluid acts as a protective shield for the developing fetus inside the uterus and it is from this that the baby gets the necessary nutrition. Now in such a situation, if the amniotic fluid starts leaking during pregnancy, then think that it can be harmful to both the pregnant woman and the unborn baby. Therefore, now we will understand further what are the reasons for Leaking Amniotic Fluid During Pregnancy.
Why can amniotic fluid leak out during pregnancy?
According to a report published in the National Center for Biotechnology Information, amniotic fluid is present in the amniotic sac. The amniotic sac is protected by two membranes, the chorion, and the amnion, and when these membranes break due to some reason, the leakage of amniotic fluid begins.
Causes of leakage of amniotic fluid during pregnancy include-
- Amniotic fluid may leak out if the membranes rupture before the 37th or 38th week.
- Having a premature delivery during the first pregnancy.
- Infection in the vagina, cervix, or uterus.
- Having surgery on the cervical area or uterus.
- Twins, multiple pregnancies, or the baby being overweight.
- Not following a healthy diet.
- Smoking, drinking alcohol, or drugs during pregnancy.
- Having a bacterial infection.
- Abnormal development of the uterus.
- Having a Trauma or Accident.
The leakage of amniotic fluid during pregnancy can occur in the above-mentioned situations.
What should be the level of amniotic fluid during pregnancy?
The level of amniotic fluid keeps increasing or decreasing during pregnancy because it is from this that the baby gets its nutrition. The level of amniotic fluid is highest during the 36th week of pregnancy and the level of amniotic fluid starts decreasing after the 38th week.
Note: If the amniotic fluid level is below normal, then the doctor can advise the pregnant woman on bed rest and also share the diet chart to follow a healthy diet. Huh. Doing so can help increase the level of amniotic fluid.
Amniotic fluid is leaking during pregnancy, how to understand it?
The leakage of amniotic fluid during pregnancy can be understood in this way. like:
- No smell comes from the discharge.
- Continuous discharge.
- Keep your underwear wet.
- Discharge even after toilet.
- The color of the discharge is light pink or white.
If such symptoms are seen during pregnancy, then consult a doctor as soon as possible.
What complications can arise from leakage of amniotic fluid during pregnancy?
The leakage of amniotic fluid during pregnancy indicates the following conditions. like:
- If there is leakage of amniotic fluid in the first or second trimester of pregnancy, then such a condition indicates a miscarriage or stillbirth.
- The growth of the baby can be hindered.
- The chances of an infection increase.
- Leakage of amniotic fluid can lead to premature delivery.
- A C-section delivery may be required.
- The placenta can shrink so that the baby does not get the oxygen it needs.
To avoid any such situation, keep in mind the symptoms of leakage of amniotic fluid during pregnancy.
During pregnancy, a pregnant woman should be in constant contact with the doctor. Get a test or ultrasound done on the date prescribed by the doctor. By doing this, information related to the changes in the uterus, the growth of the baby, and the amniotic fluid will be available. During this, follow the instructions given by the doctor properly and stay healthy.
In this article, you learned that leakage of amniotic fluid during pregnancy can be a serious problem. If it is not treated in time, it can cause harmful conditions for both the unborn baby and the pregnant. As soon as it is detected, get proper treatment from your doctor and consume a healthy and nutritious diet. If you want to know any questions related to amniotic fluid or leakage of amniotic fluid, then it is better to understand from the experts.