Fourth month of pregnancy - symptoms, development and physical changes of the baby
When the first trimester of pregnancy ends, the pregnant gets relief from some troubles. Problems like nausea and vomiting are reduced to some extent than before. In this sense, the second trimester is called the happy season for a pregnant woman. In this article of MyBabyCare, we will give you some important information about the beginning of the second trimester i.e. the fourth month of pregnancy (13th week to 16th week). In this article, you will get special information about the symptoms of the fourth month, from food to diet and precautions.
symptoms of the fourth month of pregnancy
In the fourth month of pregnancy, problems like nausea and vomiting can be reduced, but it is important to take care of health. If we talk about the symptoms of the fourth month, then it is mentioned below. Some people believe that these are signs of having a boy in the womb in the fourth month, while it is not so.
- Heartburn: This problem can also be seen in the fourth month of pregnancy. This is due to the hormones released during pregnancy.
- Increase in appetite: In this month, hunger starts feeling properly. Even you will start feeling hungry after a while. Because of this, your weight may also increase.
- Indigestion: The problem of dyspepsia is more common in the fourth month of pregnancy and can sometimes continue till delivery. In such a situation, pregnant women often have to suffer from the problem of constipation.
- Feeling of energy: There are no complaints of dizziness, vomiting, and nausea-like in the first trimester. Because of this, you will feel better and feel more energy in yourself.
Changes in the body in the fourth month of pregnancy
Since this is the fourth month of pregnancy, your pregnancy will now be visible in your baby bump. You will start seeing baby bumps. Apart from this, in the fourth month, you will see the following physical changes:
- Changes on the skin: Due to the increase in the level of estrogen hormone, there is a lot of effect on your skin. If you already have freckles or moles on your skin, it will become darker in color. To prevent these freckles, you can use herbal sunscreen.
- Swelling on the nose: Due to the hormone estrogen, swelling occurs on the nose in the fourth month of pregnancy, due to which the nose may also become blocked and the nose may also bleed. This happens with only a few women.
- Hemorrhoids: Many pregnant women start having piles of problems in the fourth month of pregnancy. To avoid this, you can use a cream by asking the doctor.
Let us now know how much does a 4-month-old baby weighs in the womb.
Baby's growth and size in the fourth month of pregnancy
As the time of pregnancy progresses, you will start feeling the baby's movements. You may feel your baby move for the first time in the fourth month of pregnancy. However, know how much the baby develops in the womb till the fourth month:
- The length of the baby in the womb is about six inches and its size becomes close to a large orange. At the same time, the weight of the baby can be 113 grams.
- Although her skin is still thin, her bones start to get stronger.
- In this month, hair starts coming on the head, eyebrows, and eyelashes.
- Ears begin to develop and he can hear some sounds.
care in the fourth month of pregnancy
Since the baby develops more rapidly in the fourth month of pregnancy, special care is needed during this time. The diet of the pregnant will come first in special care. Know what pregnant should and should not eat in the fourth month:
What to eat in the 4th month of pregnancy?
- Fibre-rich food: Constipation is a common problem in the fourth month of pregnancy. To get relief from this, you should eat fiber-rich food, such as whole grains, oats, green leafy vegetables, etc.
- Fatty acids: Consume fatty acids in appropriate amounts for the baby not to have any brain risk or risk of premature delivery. It is found in abundance in cow's milk, peanuts, eggs, fish, strawberries and raspberries, etc.
- Dairy products: During this time, you and your baby need plenty of calcium. For this, consume dairy products, such as milk, curd, cheese, etc.
- Protein-rich diet: Pulses, gram, kidney beans, and soybeans are considered good sources of protein. If you are interested, you can also include meat in your diet during this time. Keep in mind that whatever meat you eat, it is well cooked.
- Fresh Fruits: Fresh fruits are rich in vitamins and minerals, which are essential for pregnancy.
- Iron-rich food: Your growing baby needs a high amount of iron. This enables the development of the baby well. Therefore, include pulses, spinach, and apples in the food.
Do not eat these things during the fourth month of pregnancy
While some things must be included in your diet during pregnancy, on the other hand, it is also necessary to avoid some food items. Know, what should not be eaten in the fourth month of pregnancy:
1. Soft Cheese: Avoid eating soft cheese, as it is made from unpasteurized milk. It contains bacteria that can harm the baby.
2. Maida: A pregnant woman has a lot of problems with constipation and indigestion, so avoid eating things made from maida. All-purpose flour spoils your digestion, which can lead to problems like constipation.
3. Fish of high mercury: Fish can be eaten during pregnancy, but keep in mind that it is not of high mercury. This may harm the child.
4. Outside food: No matter how much your heart wants, but do not eat outside food (street food) in pregnancy, because of how they are made and whether cleanliness is taken care of while making it, its Doubt persists. This can lead to food poisoning.
5. Liquorice: Excessive consumption of licorice during pregnancy can be harmful to the baby. This affects the brain development of the child.
Exercises for the fourth month of pregnancy
Exercising during pregnancy can be beneficial for both the pregnant and the unborn child, provided it is done properly and under the supervision of a trainer. Below we are going to tell which exercises can be done during the fourth month of pregnancy:
1. Walking: Walking during pregnancy proves to be beneficial. You can go for a short walk in the morning and evening, due to which you will not only be physically healthy, but you will also feel good mentally. You walk for 10 minutes in the beginning, then increase this time to half an hour daily.
2. Yoga: It is advisable to do yoga in pregnancy. For this, you can do yoga under the supervision of an instructor. In addition, you can do breathing exercises. Various yoga and meditation postures can be helpful for you under Garbh Sanskar. You can start them by consulting an expert.
3. Swimming and water aerobics: Swimming and water aerobics are recommended during pregnancy. This strengthens your muscles and also relaxes the stomach. If interested, enlist the help of an aqua trainer.
4. Running slowly: If you already have a habit of running, then you can continue it even in this phase of pregnancy, but run slowly in this condition. If you start feeling tired, stop running (3). Athletes and women associated with sports can stay fit by continuing running and other exercises as per the advice of their coach and doctor.
Note: Keep in mind that you do not do any such exercise, which puts pressure on your stomach. Also, do all the exercises only on the advice of your doctor.
Scans and tests during 4th month of pregnancy
To keep your pregnancy going well, it is important to keep checking with the doctor from time to time, so that if there is any problem, then it can be treated in time. Talking about the fourth month of pregnancy, during this time you can do the following tests:
- Pregnant weight and blood pressure check.
- Measuring the size of the uterus.
- Urine test for sugar and protein.
- Examination of fetal heartbeats.
Apart from these general tests, doctors do other tests, which are as follows:
- Ultrasound: This checks whether the fetus is developing properly or not. In addition, ultrasound can also see whether there is a single baby or twins in the womb. At the same time, the exact position of the placenta can be seen in an ultrasound.
- Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) test: This test is done around the 16th week of pregnancy to detect neural tube defects. At the same time, in the first trimester, a nuchal translucency test is done to check this defect.
- Integrated prenatal screening: Integrated prenatal screening is done in the fourth month of pregnancy to detect disorders such as Down syndrome.
- Amniocentesis test: This test is done in the 15th to 18th week of pregnancy. If the baby is suspected of having any kind of health problem in the womb, then this test is done.
Precautions during the fourth month of pregnancy – Do's and Don'ts
From the fourth month of pregnancy, you will need to take more precautions, especially while doing household chores. Here we are telling what to do and what not to do in the fourth month of pregnancy:
- Keep an eye on your weight: Keep an eye on how much you are eating and how much weight you are gaining from it. Forget the fact that during pregnancy you should eat equal to two. By doing this you will gain weight, which can cause difficulty during delivery. Whatever you eat, just eat healthily.
- Sleep on the left side: While sleeping, sleep on the left side. Due to this, the blood flow remains fine and the baby develops well in the womb. You can put a pillow between both feet for your convenience.
- Carry tissue paper with you: During the fourth month of pregnancy, there may be problems like bleeding from the nose and clogging of the ears. For this, keep tissue paper with you and use it when needed.
- Pregnancy clothes: Soon your clothes will start getting tight. Now wear loose-fitting cotton clothes.
- Rest is important: Since the baby is developing rapidly in the womb, you should take a rest as much as possible.
- Drink plenty of water: During this, you should drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated. Try to drink eight to 10 glasses of water a day. Also, eat fiber-rich food.
Do not sleep on your stomach: Doing so can put pressure on the unborn baby. Also, avoid lifting heavy items.
Tips for a future father
As much as the woman has the responsibility of handling the pregnancy, so is the father. So, here we are giving some tips for fathers as well:
- Exercise restraint: During pregnancy, there are many hormonal changes in a woman, due to which she can become irritable and angry about talking. Seeing such behavior of your partner, try to understand him. In this time, exercise restraint and support your partner.
- Spend time together: After a few months, a little guest will come to your house. If this is your first child, soon you will be two to three. So, it is time to spend some alone time with your partner. This will make both of you feel good.
Frequently asked questions
What are the chances of miscarriage in the second trimester?
Miscarriages are common in the first trimester but are less likely in the second trimester. Miscarriage in the second trimester can happen for many reasons, such as drinking alcohol, smoking, or having a physical problem. Therefore, one should stay away from such food items, which may endanger the baby.
Is it safe to have sex during the fourth month?
Yes, if you have not faced any problem in the initial months, then it is considered safe to have sex in the fourth month, but during this time the position should be taken care of. Since by this month your stomach will have started growing a bit, so try to adopt the on-top position (female coming over man) while having sex.
Since the second trimester starts from the fourth month, many women do not know what to do and what not to do during this period. In such a situation, we hope that the information given by us will be useful to you. Keep reading for more such information on MomJunction.