Second month of pregnancy - symptoms, baby development and physical changes
As soon as the second month of pregnancy starts, many changes are seen in the body. Of course, these changes can be a bit frustrating for a first time pregnant woman, but their experience is also special in itself, as it is the second step towards the joyous feeling of becoming a mother.
In this article on MyBabyCare, we will discuss about the second month of pregnancy i.e. fifth to eighth week. We will tell in detail about all such aspects, what are the symptoms seen in the second month, what changes happen in the body, what should be eaten, what should not be eaten during this time.
Symptoms of second month of pregnancy
In the second month of pregnancy, hormones start changing in the body. Although some symptoms of this month are similar to the first month, but along with this some new symptoms also appear. These can be something like this:
- If your bra is starting to tighten, then there is no need to panic, because this is happening due to the increase in estrogen and progesterone hormones. Due to these hormones, the size of the breast starts increasing. In addition, the area around the nipple may become tight.
- Due to the change in hormones, the nature becomes irritable.
- You may have morning sickness, in which you will feel like nausea, dizziness and vomiting.
body changes in the second month of pregnancy
- This month your uterus grows to the size of an orange.
- You may have frequent urination problems. This is due to the dilation of the uterus.
- Every once in a while, I feel like eating something. At the same time, some women feel very little appetite during the first trimester, due to which their weight also reduces.
- Vaginal pain, itching and slight blood may come from it. Be sure to consult your gynecologist in case of bleeding.
- Breathing problems can occur due to physical changes.
- Your weight starts increasing a little earlier. Some women start losing weight. Because it is common to complain of vomiting and nausea during this time. Due to morning sickness, women eat less food during pregnancy, due to which their weight starts decreasing.
- During this time many things do not like the smell. Now whom, which smell bothers, it is a different experience of every pregnant woman.
- There may also be a burning sensation in the chest during this.
Baby's growth and size in the second month of pregnancy
Knowing about the development of the unborn baby during pregnancy is a very pleasant experience. Every mother feels and understands the development of her unborn child. Know how the baby develops and its size in the second month of pregnancy:
- In the second month, the size of the fetus becomes about 1 inch and its weight can be up to 14 grams.
- By this month the fetal heart starts functioning and the brain also starts developing.
- Eyes, nose, lips, liver and ears begin to form. Apart from this, the process of tooth formation also starts.
care in the second month of pregnancy
Pregnancy is a delicate period for every woman. During this, special care has to be taken of the pregnant, so that she can give birth to a healthy child. Here we are telling you how to take care of pregnant in the second month.
What to eat in the second month of pregnancy?
- Foods rich in folate: Folate i.e. folic acid is a type of vitamin-B, which is essential in the early stages of pregnancy. It is essential for the spinal cord and brain development of the baby. For this you can consume spinach, green leafy vegetables, nuts, beans, chicken, meat and whole grains. (3) Apart from this, the doctor may also give you a supplement of folic acid as needed.
- Iron rich food: Iron is very important for the body. Iron deficiency in pregnancy can lead to anemia. For this you can eat apple, spinach and green leafy vegetables. Iron-rich foods alone are not enough during pregnancy, so your doctor may also give you iron supplements. Most doctors recommend iron and calcium supplements after the third month.
- Calcium-rich food: The need for calcium increases in the second month of pregnancy, as the baby's bones start to harden during this time. For this you can consume dairy products like milk, curd, cheese etc.
- Protein-rich food: It is important to take a balanced amount of protein during this time. Protein is found in abundance in things like pulses, milk and eggs.
What should not be eaten in the second month of pregnancy?
There are some things that you should not consume. Let us know what not to eat during the second month of pregnancy:
- Raw Meat: Avoid eating raw meat during this period. It contains bacteria called listeria, which hinders the growth of the baby.
- Soft cheese: Avoid eating soft cheese in the second month, it can harm both the baby and the mother.
- Alcohol and Tobacco: Consuming alcohol and tobacco during pregnancy is harmful for both mother and baby.
- Raw Eggs: Do not eat raw eggs during this time. Consuming raw eggs can lead to salmonella infection. This infection can cause vomiting and diarrhea in the pregnant.
- Fish with high levels of mercury: This type of fish should be avoided. Mercury levels are high in fish such as Spanish mackerel, marlin or shark, king mackerel and tilefish. These hinder the development of the fetus.
- Non-pasteurized milk: Non-pasteurized milk should not be consumed during pregnancy. It contains bacteria called listeria, which can increase the risk of miscarriage and premature labor.
Exercises for the second month of pregnancy
Yoga and exercise are very beneficial in early pregnancy. You exercise under the supervision of a right instructor. Do light exercises in the beginning and try to do it for 30 minutes daily. You can do the exercises mentioned here during the second month:
- Try to walk for about 20 minutes a day.
- If you want, you can also go swimming for a while.
- You can do exercises like weight training.
- Apart from this, yoga like Anulom-Antonym and meditation can prove beneficial for you.
- Keep in mind that avoid doing waist twisting and abdominal twisting exercises.
Note: Before doing any exercise, it is necessary to consult your doctor once.
Scans and tests during the second month of pregnancy
Apart from eating and exercising, it is important for a pregnant woman to check with her doctor from time to time. The doctor conducts the following tests every month:
- Sugar test: Through this it is known whether the level of sugar is correct or not.
- Protein test: In this, kidney and high blood pressure will be checked.
- Hemoglobin and iron levels will be checked.
- If there is any infection in the pregnant woman, it will be investigated.
- Along with this, the weight of the pregnant will also be checked.
Precautions during the second month of pregnancy
It is important to be aware of the do's and don'ts during pregnancy.
What to do in the second month of pregnancy?
- Get maximum rest. It is good for both the unborn baby and the pregnant.
- Drink plenty of fluids and keep yourself hydrated.
- Keep taking folic acid and other supplements on the advice of a doctor.
- Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating them and eat them after removing their skins.
- Instead of eating one meal at a time, eat small and many times throughout the day. This will make food easier to digest.
- Heaviness in the breasts starts in this month, so you can start wearing a supportive bra.
What not to do in the second month of pregnancy?
- If you smoke or use alcohol and tobacco, quit immediately.
- Do not stay empty stomach, it can increase the problem of nausea.
- Avoid oily foods and junk food.
- Do not take any medicine without consulting the doctor.
Problems during the second month of pregnancy
During the entire nine months of pregnancy, the pregnant may also have to deal with some problems. Some of these are normal, but some should be treated immediately. We are mentioning some such problems here:
1. Heartburn and indigestion problem:
During this, it is common to have heartburn, sour gas and constipation. (6) To avoid the problem of heartburn, you can take antacid medicine on the advice of your doctor.
2. Visible veins:
During pregnancy, the veins swell due to the increase in blood in the body. It may swell and appear red or blue in color. It is called varicose vein in English. This problem can last for the last three months of pregnancy.
3. Light bleeding or spotting from the vagina:
There can be many reasons for bleeding in pregnancy. This may be due to the implantation of the embryo in the early months. Once this happens, definitely tell your doctor.
4. Morning sickness:
As we mentioned earlier, it is common for pregnant women to have morning sickness in the early months of pregnancy. If you feel like this then you can try these remedies (7) (8) :
- Avoid eating high fat, high salt, oily and spicy things.
- More and more water should be drunk.
- After waking up in the morning, have a light snack.
- Get out of bed in the morning and try to walk a little.
- Eat foods high in carbohydrates and proteins, such as nuts, peanuts, butter and milk.
- Apart from this, ginger tea in the morning can benefit you.
Note: Keep in mind that during this time you do not take any medicine of your own free will. If this problem is getting worse then talk to your doctor about it.
Tips for a future father
On the one hand, while the pregnant woman needs special care during pregnancy, in such a situation the father also has to understand some of his responsibilities. Here we are giving some important tips for the future father:
- Make sure that your wife eats properly and gets enough sleep.
- Gather information on health insurance and other essentials, such as which hospital to deliver.
- You should take the responsibility of bringing whatever your wife wants to eat.
Frequently asked questions
Is it safe to have sex during early pregnancy?
Yes, sex can be done in the second month of pregnancy, but if a woman has ever had a miscarriage or a premature delivery, then she must consult a doctor once before having a relationship in pregnancy.
Besides folic acid, should I be taking any other supplements?
It depends on the need of your body. Depending on the condition of your body, your doctor may give you iron and calcium supplements.
We hope that in this article you have got many types of information about the second month of pregnancy, which will be useful for you. You can read our other articles to know more about pregnancy.